How to Survive a Layoff
Manny Otiko is a PR professional who wrote a great post called Tips on Surviving a Layoff. You’ll have to read his post to get the explanations of all of his points, which are:
- Be Patient. Based on today’s economy he argues that it takes considerably longer to land a job – not our fault but we have to figure out how to deal with this extra delay in moving on.
- Brush up on your job hunting skills. This idea bugged me the most – I didn’t want to read books and books and become an expert on it, I just wanted a job!
- Modify your phone plan. Specifically talking about the cost of your current cell plan, but I’d suggest you modify your phone strategy, also (which means: GET ON THE PHONE!).
- Network, network, network. Yes, absolutely. How do you manage a network? JibberJobber, of course :p
- Shake the tree. Go back to old network contacts (use LinkedIn to find them, JibberJobber to manage the relationship)
- Create your own job. Time to freelance? Or at least get ONE customer?
- Use your free time well. Great points here.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Especially referring to emotional issues you might face, such as job search depression.
I like posts like this from people who aren’t job search experts… they are simply sharing what they have come to realize during their own transition.
[…] the article here: How to Survive a Layoff Share and […]